At the time, almost all athletic commissions disclosed the official contract salaries of combat sports athletes. It was one of the little safeguards that existed to try to prevent promoters from screwing up fighters. In today’s world of dog-eating dogs, even that protection has been reduced to the point where California is one of the few states to split the UFC salary.
So, with UFC San Diego on the books last night (Saturday August 13, 2022), let’s see what the fighters on the card have been up to.
In a somewhat shocking situation, Angela Hill (who is 2-5 in her last seven) earned $190,000 for her decision win over Lupita Godinez on the “Prelims” undercard. Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz – who, as the name of the event suggests, was the event’s headliner – won $175,000 to get his business started and broke the nose against Marlon Vera (see highlights).
Vera is doing pretty well: “Chito” pocketed $300,000 for beating Cruz in a fight that undoubtedly puts him just on the verge of a shot at the bantamweight title. Two other fighters were part of the six-figure pay club: Gabriel Benitez earned $100,000 for his first-round knockout of Charlie Ontiveros, and Gerald Meerschaert earned $146,000 for his third-round win over Bruno Silva (watch the).
On the other side of the pay scale, you have Josh Quinlan and Lukasz Brzeski vying for $10,000 to show off and $10,000 to win contracts. There were plenty of $12,000 and $12,000 fighters, including Youssef Zalal, D’amon Blackshear, Charlie Ontiveros, Martin Buday, Azamat Murzakanov and Iasmin Lucindo.
This is because they are relatively new fighters in the organization. As you can see from Hill and Meerschaert’s paychecks, stick around long enough and the money doesn’t look too bad.
Here are the total compensation figures according to the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC):
- Marlon Vera $300,000 ($150,000 Show / $150,000 Win) beats Dominick Cruz $175,000
- Nate Landwehr $60,000 ($30,000 Show/$30,000 Win) def. David Onama $24,000
- Yazmin Jauregui $50,000 ($25,000 Show/$25,000 Win) def. Iasmin Lucindo $12,000
- Azamat Murzakanov $24,000 ($12,000 Show / $12,000 Win) def. Devin Clark $75,000
- Priscila Cachoeira $80,000 ($40,000 show/$40,000 win) beats Ariane Lipski $40,000
- Gerald Meerschaert $146,000 ($73,000 Show / $73,000 Win) beats Bruno Silva $40,000
- Angela Hill $190,000 ($95,000 Show / $95,000 Win) beats Lupita Godinez $45,000
- Martin Buday $24,000 ($12,000 Show/$12,000 Win) def. Lukasz Brzeski $10,000
- Nina Nunes $80,000 ($40,000 Show/$40,000 Win) defeated Cynthia Calvillo $70,000
- Gabriel Benitez $100,000 ($50,000 Show/$50,000 Win) def. Charlie Ontiveros $12,000
- Tyson Nam $50,000 ($25,000 Show / $25,000 Win) beats Ode Osbourne $28,000
- Josh Quinlan $20,000 ($10,000 Show / $10,000 Win) beats Jason Witt $23,000
- Youssef Zalal $24,000 ($12,000 Show / $12,000 Win) beats D’amon Blackshear $12,000
For full UFC San Diego: ‘Cruz vs. Vera’ and play-by-play results, click HERE.